Sunday, May 13, 2012

Take Time For Positivity


People seem to have all the time in the world to complain and wish for a better situation, a better boyfriend, a better life. I'm guilty of this too at times. Sometimes it seems like negativity is all around us and its easier to fall in to it then to ignore it. 

For example, we tend to thrive on other's failures. It’s common to hear someone starting a conversation with "Did you hear X got fired and apparently things aren't good with her and her boyfriend." It’s a rarity to hear "Wow X got this amazing promotion and things are going to great for her its just awesome. It's much easier to be a friend to someone in times of failure than in times of success.

I’ve been accused of being "annoyingly upbeat" "unrealistic" "too positive" I’ve even been called "Tinkerbelle." The way I see it, the way you feel about someone else's success will not change your success. You can spend an hour thinking about how horrible life is or how lucky other people are OR you can spend an hour counting all of the good things you have going for you. You can be thankful for the lack of ailments you have compared to others.
 
 It doesn't matter if the glass is half full, half empty, cracked, ugly.... It matters who the owner of the glass is and what he or she does with it.

Sometimes in life we get dealt an awful hand. We cannot exchange those cards; we can simply develop a strategy to play them to our advantage. But if you got someone else's hand, you may decide your hand isn't so bad after all.

Anne Frank said it best "I don't think of the misery, but of the beauty that still remains." 

Life is wonderful. It’s unpredictable, unfair, awesome, and challenging, it’s the greatest adventure we get to go on. In a materialistic world, we lose sight of all the amazing things in our life. This morning I woke up and, being blind as a bat, griped about not being able to see right away. Then I remembered I have two working legs to walk to the bathroom where my contacts, that I was able to buy, were situated.  Sometimes we complain about getting dressed in the morning, while some less fortunate people cannot get dressed on their own and have to wait for daily assistance with there dressing.

Lastly, today I thought "Gee it's really unfair that my grandmother has to be alone on Mothers Day," until I remembered that she had my late grandpa with her for fifty years and some people can't even say they have had someone with them for five.

Life is good, enjoy walking in your shoes, and when you wish for someone else's shoes, remember they may be less comfortable. 

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Jade. Jolted me back to reality about how we often overlook the 'simple' things of life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful comment!

    ReplyDelete