Friday, May 4, 2012

Challenge Your Mind

This semester I took Eng 411 aka Linguistics aka Hell on Earth. The professor's first words were: "Now this is a challenging scientific and mathematical English class." There is one thing in this world I hate more than math and science.. ants!

Three weeks into the class and we began doing linguistic trees. Nothing made sense and i contemplated dropping the class. Due to amazing scholarships from the Reynolds School of Journalism, I decided against dropping. I was going to learn Linguistics no matter what. I emailed the professor and explained that Linguistics made as much sense to me as a message from Athens in Greek. She graciously told me to come into her office a week before every homework assignment was due and she would check my work and help me with questions. So I did that... Every Friday/Monday for four months I was in her office. 
Page one of an eleven page paper. 
As I prepare to take the final I have an 87% in the class and cannot only do trees in English, but I have learned to do them in Tagalog as well for my final project. IT FEELS DAMN GOOD!

It has been so long since I have challenged myself and taken a hard class that I wasn't comfortable with. This class taught me so much about language. More importantly, this class taught me so much about myself. It taught me that I'm 100 times more determined than I thought and a million times smarter and more capable than I could have imagined. 
It's a work in progress!

I cured my mind which was diseased with laziness when it came to math and science. It was like bootcamp for my mind.
It is so important to keep challenging ourselves and pushing ourselves in order to be the best we can possibly be!

I plan to use my Linguistic knowledge in everything I do. I now understand the scientific value of words and the importance of using some words as opposed to others. Amazing press releases here I come!

Linguistic hugs from my house to yours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment