Sunday, May 6, 2012

Swim


Today I felt like listening to a band I used to listen to in high school-Jack’s Mannequin and came across the song “Swim.”


I found a tidal wave
Begging to tear down the dawn
Memories like bullets
They fired at me from a gun
A crack in the armor
I swim to brighter days
Despite the absence of sun
Choking on salt water
I'm not giving in
I swim


I’ve been nostalgic and a little weepy lately, thinking back to the times when my grandfather was alive. He inspired me so much every day with his kindness and was so proud of everything I did, it didn’t matter what it was-I was his superstar. Every night I would talk to him and he would tell me how one day he will see me on CNN, I don’t think he understood what a public relations person does even though I would attempt to explain it over and over again.

I think its pretty clear I'm not a natural blonde but I did get his big blue eyes!
He passed away in November and since then despite his passing, so many amazing things have happened to me: fantastic internship, scholarships, good grades… there’s so much I want to tell him but can’t.

Anyways when I heard this song it inspired me maybe not to swim, but to GO! I am going to keep going for all my dreams and know that he is with me watching over me, probably shaking his head at my ridiculous caffeine consumption.

Sometimes we all have those days where we miss how things used to be, or we wish things were different, but we must swim because life is good. Life is an amazing journey and sometimes we may not like the pit stops, but we must remember it’s not the end of the race and only WE get to decide the attitude we have at these pit stops and when we reach the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment